Welcome to our Talk-Sport to enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages123>»
lordo
lordo
Hall of Famer
Join: 1/03/2009(UTC)

#1 Posted : Tuesday, 20 March 2012 1:13:16 AM(UTC)
Quote:

WEEK 5
Friday, March 23 Venue Local AEDT NZ RSA

Blues v Hurricanes Eden Park 19.35 17.35 19.35 8.35
Rebels v Force AAMI Park 19.40 19.40 21.40 10.40

Saturday, March 24 Venue Local AEDT NZ RSA
Waratahs v Sharks Sydney Football Stadium 15.35 15.35 17.35 6.35
Crusaders v Cheetahs Rugby League Park 19.35 17.35 19.35 8.35
Brumbies v Highlanders Canberra Stadium 19.40 19.40 21.40 10.40
Bulls v Reds Loftus Versfeld 17.05 2.05* 4.05* 17.05
Lions v Stormers Coca-Cola Park 19.10 4.10* 6.10* 19.10

BYE: Chiefs
* Sunday March 25

Canes because Blues will jet lagged, if it was any other week I'd give it to the Blues (love ya penrod)
Rebels if Beale is back, if not Force

Sharks over the Tahs, Tahs have got a lot of injuries and aren't looking good.
Crusaders pretty easily
Brumbies could upset them, but I think getting so close last weekend and losing the Landers will take it
Reds, but not convincingly
Stormers for sure

Questions
1. Reds have their THREE first choice 5/8s, can they remain competitive? Will Digby get suspended? (I think a yellow card is fair, but might get a 1 week which is a bit harsh)
2. Higlanders and Stormers are undefeated and both are playing weak teams, will they remain undefeated?
3. Tahs, Crusaders, Blues - all teams you would have expected to be in finals contention have 1 win after 4 rounds. Which team will string some wins together?
4. Does anyone else feel this competition is incredibly tight this year? Most games have been decided by 7 points or less, and teams are pushing each other until the final buzzer (or after in the case of Crusaders-Highlanders). Super rugby is the best.

That's all, is anyone else's tipping gone to ****?
Yule Sukmiov
Yule Sukmiov
Seasoned Campaigner
Join: 4/03/2012(UTC)

#2 Posted : Tuesday, 20 March 2012 2:00:57 AM(UTC)
Game one is likely to decide the spoon for the NZ conference.
Game two is likely to decide the spoon for the whole comp.

Canes > Blues - because of injuries and travel, otherwise would've gone the blues
Rebels > Force - up for one game, down for the next
Tahs > Sharks - as above, plus home ground
Crusaders > Cheetahs
Highlanders > Brumbies - strangely nervous about this one. Complacency from the Higlanders wouldn't surprise
Bulls > Reds - Reds in the same situation as the Blues when they met the Bulls. I picked the Bulls then, and I will again
Stormers > Lions - Stormers best team for hte first quarter of super.

1. Reds will remain competitive. Plenty of teams have done ok minus three players in one position - Highlanders played their third choice 10 against the Waratahs (Sopoaga) and lost him early. Luckily for them, Slade could be moved up from FB. Donald was the ABs fourth choice when he won the WC last year.

2. Stormers will remain undefeated this week, Highlanders should going by class, but I'm nervous

3. Crusaders will bounce back for sure. Not certain about the Tahs or Blues - both have injury worries as well.

4. It's tight in groups. The top nine teams aren't too far off each other, and nor are the bottom 5. The Canes probably sit between the two groups. That's not the reasons games have been tight though, IMO. Games have been tight becuase the referres are trying strict approach at the breakdown. Most teams always infringe frequently, but now they are being pinged for it. This means that penalties are going both ways, reducing the number of tries, and making scores closer.
Buzz Killington
Buzz Killington
Rookie
Join: 31/10/2011(UTC)

#3 Posted : Tuesday, 20 March 2012 5:06:53 AM(UTC)
Blues 1-12
Rebels 1-12
Sharks 1-12
Crusaders 50+
Brumbies 1-12
Reds 1-12
Stormers 13+
Speights
Speights
Rookie
Join: 11/10/2011(UTC)

#4 Posted : Tuesday, 20 March 2012 7:00:33 PM(UTC)
Blues v Canes - forget injuries, Blues, at home in Auckland = too good for Canes

Rebels v Force - nothing I have seen this year so far suggests the Rebels will win anything, just shows no matter how big your roster is, you've got to be able to put it together on the park, and so far they haven't

Tahs v Sharks - Both teams have had a poor start to the season, think the Tahs will be too good on home soil, especially after last week......

Crusaders v Cheetahs - Dont need to say anyhting here.....

Brumbies v HIGHLANDERS!!!! Brumbies have surprised a few so far this season.... But time for some quality ass kicking.....Bad Grin

Bulls v Reds - Reds somehow found a way to lose to the Sharks last week, even after the start they had, will probably be withour a playmaker at all... Bulls far to strong at Loftus

Lions v Stormers Can see the Lions sticking with them in the first 30, Stormers to run away with it after that
a_F_c
a_F_c
Hall of Famer
Join: 12/06/2007(UTC)

#5 Posted : Wednesday, 21 March 2012 4:41:12 AM(UTC)
Not confident at all this week tbh. So in saying that, Reds 1-12 Very Happy
lordo
lordo
Hall of Famer

#6 Posted : Thursday, 22 March 2012 2:40:19 AM(UTC)
Rebels don't have Beale or Mortlock. Going force.
Kiwi in oz
Kiwi in oz
Hall of Famer
Join: 18/06/2007(UTC)

#7 Posted : Thursday, 22 March 2012 3:49:51 AM(UTC)
Blues to win by 1, although with Mathewson, Weepu and Nonu at 9,10 & 12 it just doesn't seem right...
Force to win by 3, Beale still out for Rebels and Force's confidence should be sky high.
Tahs to bounce back. By 7. Sharks didn't look all that impressive in beating the Reds and the Tahs have to give their fans something to cheer about.
Saders by 7 Expect the Cheetahs to be competitive but to fade in the final 15.
Brumbies by 1. should be Aus team 1st victory of the year over NZ team. hope not but head says beware Landers.
Bulls by 7. Reds have Ioane out and depth problems at 10. Goodnight.
Lions by 1. My upset of the round.
hobo
hobo
Hall of Famer
Join: 22/11/2005(UTC)
China
Location: 'Scott Machado though, could lead the league in assists one day'- kingkingston

#8 Posted : Thursday, 22 March 2012 3:55:34 AM(UTC)
think mealamu might miss the match too

Edited by user Thursday, 22 March 2012 4:14:31 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Kiwi in oz
Kiwi in oz
Hall of Famer
Join: 18/06/2007(UTC)

#9 Posted : Thursday, 22 March 2012 3:58:45 AM(UTC)
hobo wrote:
think mealama might miss the match too

he's def out
It's time for the boys from up north to take a punt on some local talent. Surely there's a Sean Fitzpatrick running around for Uni or Ponsonby that can slot straight in. We need a John Hart approach and get some youth involved.
hobo
hobo
Hall of Famer
China
Location: 'Scott Machado though, could lead the league in assists one day'- kingkingston

#10 Posted : Thursday, 22 March 2012 4:34:40 AM(UTC)
in other rugby news george smith has joined Stade Francais after a few years in japan..
hobo
hobo
Hall of Famer
China

#11 Posted : Thursday, 22 March 2012 8:56:37 PM(UTC)
Dan Carter making his return this weekend
nickstaa11
nickstaa11
Hall of Famer
Join: 20/09/2008(UTC)

#12 Posted : Friday, 23 March 2012 4:31:10 AM(UTC)
hobo wrote:
in other rugby news george smith has joined Stade Francais after a few years in japan..

And Kaino is off to FranceNeutral
Inqui
Inqui
Stalwart
Join: 9/03/2010(UTC)
New Zealand

#13 Posted : Friday, 23 March 2012 6:39:08 AM(UTC)
http://www.allblacks.com...back-the-clock-14-years/

Interesting piece on the last time the Highlanders went four from four. Obviously this year they don't have the same Otago core, but they're still a good looking team.

I remember that 1999 season well. I was seven years old and Taine Randall was my first ever man-crush. What a manSmile .
Inqui
Inqui
Stalwart
New Zealand

#14 Posted : Friday, 23 March 2012 6:41:17 AM(UTC)
nickstaa11 wrote:
And Kaino is off to FranceNeutral

My Baltimore Ravens have a saying for when something like that happens: "Next Man Up!"

Step up Victor Vito, IRB Player of the Year and World Cup winner in 2015.
penrod
penrod
Hall of Famer
Join: 11/06/2007(UTC)

#15 Posted : Friday, 23 March 2012 7:33:29 AM(UTC)
Blues v Hurricanes
13+
come on... who else am I gonna pick Very Happy

Rebels v W Force
12-
this is where they break their duck

Waratahs v Sharks
13+
these guys are ready to rumble...beside Tom Carters back.

Crusaders v Cheetahs
13+
welcome back D.Carter n Daggs at the back, look for some line breaks.

Brumbies v Highlanders
12-
was gonna pick the Brums, but I couldn't.

Bulls v Reds
13+
too many out, 'if it was any other week I'd give it to the' REDS Very Happy but not today.

Lions v Stormers
13+
could get ugly.

BYE Chiefs

Edited by user Friday, 23 March 2012 7:43:10 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Speights
Speights
Rookie
Join: 11/10/2011(UTC)

#16 Posted : Friday, 23 March 2012 7:17:55 PM(UTC)
Inqui wrote:
http://www.allblacks.com/news/18890/Are-the-Highlanders-turning-back-the-clock-14-years/

Interesting piece on the last time the Highlanders went four from four. Obviously this year they don't have the same Otago core, but they're still a good looking team.

I remember that 1999 season well. I was seven years old and Taine Randall was my first ever man-crush. What a manSmile .

Only 7...??? I was 13 then, and it was in the middle of the massive Southland Exodus, where is seemed just about anyone who could catch and pass was bought out of the region and Otago was who you supported coz lets be honest, back then, we sucked.... was a phenomenal run by the 'Landers and Otago... Thanks for posting that story on here.... fond memories Smile
hobo
hobo
Hall of Famer
China

#17 Posted : Friday, 23 March 2012 7:19:30 PM(UTC)
Blues v Hurricanes: dont rate canes, blues weakness up front wont be exploited by them. 1-12

Rebels v W Force: toss a coin. Ill take Rebels 1-12

Waratahs v Sharks: Something tells me the Shorks are in for it. 1-12 again cause 13+ is a rarity these days.

Crusaders v Cheetahs: 1-12

Brumbies v Highlanders: 1-12 Thought that the highlanders dropped off noticably in terms of physicality last week and the nic white/leiafano combo looks the goods. Brumbies will sneak this one.

Bulls v Reds: upset of the round. Smile Will probably be the toughest match of the year for Qld but their best performance was last week. Looking at the depth of their forward pack( with great players stacking the bench) i can see Qld pulling this one out. 1-12.

Lions v Stormers mitchell is already complaining about injuries so this must be going to be a bath. 13+

Edited by user Friday, 23 March 2012 10:34:39 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Inqui
Inqui
Stalwart
New Zealand

#18 Posted : Friday, 23 March 2012 7:37:43 PM(UTC)
Hurricanes 1-12. The Blues have injury problems, Woodcock will still be a bit rusty. It'll be close, but I think we'll close out stronger with the Blues getting tired from their road trip.

Force 1-12. They're buoyed by beating the Tahs (though they really shouldn't be), Beale's still out and I rate the Force pack as better than the Rebels'.

Sharks 1-12. The Waratahs will bounce back from last week, but I can't see it happening this week.

Crusaders 13+. Like I said in the other thread, the Crusaders will get up for this one, and I'll be surprised if it isn't a bloodbath.

Highlanders 1-12. The Brumbies are shocking right now, the Highlanders will win up front and that basically removes any advantage the Brumbies might have. Assuming the Highlanders aren't totally flat they should come up with a win.

Bulls 10-15. The Bulls will be too good in SA. The Reds need Quade or Mike back and Digby's ban will pretty much neuter their running game.

Stormers 13+. I genuinely can't see the Lions holding any advantage here. Maybe linebreaks?
hobo
hobo
Hall of Famer
China

#19 Posted : Saturday, 24 March 2012 4:11:49 AM(UTC)
lachie munroe that is the dumbest thing ive seen this year.
Blues lineout is an absoloute joke, losing every throw but they are still the better side and still leading despite munroes brain explosion
lordo
lordo
Hall of Famer

#20 Posted : Saturday, 24 March 2012 4:17:33 AM(UTC)
hobo wrote:
lachie munroe that is the dumbest thing ive seen this year.
Blues lineout is an absoloute joke, losing every throw but they are still the better side and still leading despite munroes brain explosion

he kind of reminds me of macaulay culkin

go the canes Very Happy